Reference Writers, Click Here!
Students and Parents, Please Read Below
As you will learn when you begin applying for colleges, references are important because it provides an outside perspective on who you are as a person. Because we do not conduct interviews in the interest of time and scheduling, we are trying to get to know our applicants strictly on paper, so it is key that we gather some feedback from people who know you.
All applicants are required to have at least two references from adults. One must be from an educator; this can be a current or former teacher, or team/club sponsor. This person must work at a school you attended.
And one must be from someone in the community, an adult who is not related to you, and who knows you outside of the school environment. Examples: a club sponsor, an employer, parent for whom you’ve provided babysitting, a pastor, or a neighbor.
We cannot review an application if we haven’t received your community and educator reference as requested. We must give preference to applicants who completed the process, and who have demonstrated the necessary support in their adult relationships.
Tips for Requesting References:
- When you request references, we recommend that you approach the adult either in person or via a nice email. Remember, they aren’t obligated to take the time to do this favor for you. And in the case of educators, please remember that they are often asked to complete many references every spring, for multiple students.
- When you make your request, let the adult know that it is an easy online form that should take less than 15 minutes to complete.
- Please provide your references with this link, where they can submit their reference directly to us. All references must be submitted digitally, and this is the only form we use: http://www.jrfwl.org/references
- Your reference writers will communicate directly with Frisco Women’s League sponsors. You will not be able to review or access their answers. So, we recommend that you request your references from people who know you well and like you.
- Give them plenty of time. Adults are busy with jobs, families and activities. If you wait until the last minute to ask someone for a reference, they may hurry through it, and forget the nice things they want to tell us about you.
- Please note that all references are due to us by April 9, 2018. There is no way for us to know which adults are being asked to write references, so Junior FWL / FWL does not follow up with your people. We are not liable if your reference writers do not submit their forms. We encourage you to make your request early, and follow up politely with your adults a few days later as a courtesy reminder.
If you have questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.